1. At the age of 13, while studying at private
Lakeside School, Gates discovered his interest in
software and started writing his own computer
2. Bill Gates aimed to become a millionaire by the
age of 30. However, he became abillionaire at 31.
3. Bill Gates pays overUS$1 million per year in
property taxes for his house.
4. At a spending rate of $1 million a day, it would
take Bill Gates 218 years to spend all his money.
5. If you change all of Bill Gate’s money to US$1
notes, you can make a road from earth to moon,
14 times back and forth. But you have to make
that road non-stop for 1,400 years, and use a
total of 713 BOEING 747 planes to transport all
6. If Bill Gates was a country, he would be the
37th richest country on earth.
7. Bill Gates’ full name is William Henry Gates III.
8. The first computer program that Bill Gates
wrote was a tic-tac-toe game. The game was
played in a 2 player format where the computer
was the opponent.
9. At 17, Gates sold his first computer program, a
timetable system for his high school for which he
pocketed a $4,200.
10. Bill Gates never graduated from college,
instead founding Microsoft with his friend Paul
Allen in 1975. He was just 20 years old when he
11. Bill Gates earns nearly 250 US Dollars every
second. That’s about 20 million dollars a day and
7.2 Billion dollars a year! Bill Gates can pay off
the entire United States debt in less than 10
12. Committed in giving back most of his fortune
through charity work, Gates has reportedly
reserved only about $10 million for each of his
13. Thirty-two years after dropping out of
Harvard University in 2007, Gates returned to his
school to receive an honorary degree, thus
vindicating a promise he had made to his father
to one day get his degree.
14. On December 9, 2010, Gates, investor Warren
Buffett, and Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook’s CEO)
signed the “Gates-Buffet Giving Pledge”, in which
they promised to donate to charity at least half of
15. After stepping down as Microsoft’s Chief
Executive Officer in January 2000, Gates remained
as chairman and created the position of chief
software architect for himself.
16. Xanadu 2.0, Gates family mansion, boasts a
17-by-60-foot swimming pool with underground
music system and a floor painted in a fossil motif.
17. During Bill Gates’ wedding, to insure his and
his wife’s privacy for the day of their wedding, Bill
rented every single hotel room at the hotel they
were staying and chartered every helicopter close
by on the Hawaiian island of Lanai.